Archival Services of University Libraries collects, preserves, and provides access to important historical resources that primarily document the history of The University of Akron and the region. As part of our mission, Archival Services digitizes select historical resources for preservation and access purposes and makes them available online to promote the collections and make them more readily available to a broader audience. Our digital collections have focused on our core collecting areas, which includes the history of The University of Akron, Akron and Summit County, the rubber and polymer industry, lighter-than-air flight, Ohio canals, the book and print culture, and the B-26 Marauder and 9th Air Force.
Please note that while some of our digital objects are in the public domain and therefore are not subject to copyright restriction, the majority of our digital images are protected by copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code). The University of Akron makes these items available for personal use for private study, scholarship, or research. Any other use of the materials including publications, exhibitions, or productions is prohibited without written permission of The University of Akron Archival Services. If you have questions about our digital collections or need to obtain copyright permission please contact Archival Services by phone at 330-972-6253 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Please browse or search our online collections, which are listed and briefly described below. We encourage you to check back periodically as new collections and materials constantly are being added.
The Archives of the Ninth Air Force Association at the University of Akron Archival Services includes the official records of the Ninth Air Force Association (9AFA) including newsletters, membership lists, reunion programs, and photographs. The collection also contains unit histories and personal papers such as diaries, photographs, and oral histories of individuals who served in the Ninth Air Force. The materials in the collection relate predominantly to World War II.
The B-26 Marauder Archives of The University of Akron Archival Services consists of approximately 250 cubic feet of historic materials that document the important contribution made by the Martin B-26 Marauder and the men who operated and maintained them in World War II. Historical materials include photographs, letters, diaries, mission reports, and other materials. The archives also contain the official records of numerous Marauder reunion groups including newsletters, membership lists, reunion programs, and photographs. Published materials including bombardment group and squadron histories, personal accounts, and books and pamphlets are also included.
The Daniel Guggenheim Airship Institute was operated by the Municipal University of Akron from 1929 - 1949. As part of the College of Engineering, the institute provided students with research opportunities relating to lighter-than-air flight, heavier-than-air flight, and meteorology. The records consist of correspondence, technical reports, and administrative files.
Edward C. Shoman was the marketing manager of big tire sales at the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company in Akron, Ohio. Included in the papers are business correspondence, reports, and personal notes from his 34 years at Goodyear in addition to numerous Goodyear-related photographs, slides, video tapes, and published materials that mostly document Goodyear’s off-the-road tires.
Frank B. Baldwin was an employee of the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company under their flight operations department and later their astronautics and undersea warfare sales department. He also served as a pilot and personal aide to Paul W. Litchfield, president and later CEO and Chairman of Board of Goodyear. Included in the papers are photograph albums, logs, and subject files from his 34 years at Goodyear in addition to numerous Goodyear-related film strips, slides, published materials, and artifacts.
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Records contains approximately 1,000 cubic feet of correspondence, annual reports, financial reports, news releases, advertisements, audio-visual materials, photographs, scrapbooks, and publications that document the history of the company. The Photographic Negatives and Prints Series includes roughly 500,000 images that visually chronicle the rich and diverse history of the largest and most influential rubber company in the world. Funding from the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) allowed Archival Services to digitize and make available online all 23,000 images from 1912-1951. Any views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this website do not necessarily reflect those of the NEH.
The Louis Baus Canal Photograph Collection at The University of Akron Archival Services consists of 423 negatives of the Ohio & Erie Canal, Miami & Erie Canal, and connecting waterways from 1854 to 1933. The majority of images were photographed by Louis Baus (1875-1949), a Cleveland, Ohio photographer, while others were acquired by Baus from his predecessors. Included in the collection are images of canal boats, crews and passengers, and various locks, businesses, and homes along the canalways. Digitization of the Baus Collection was sponsored in part through the generous support of the Ohio & Erie Canalway Association.
The Opie Evans Papers at The University of Akron Archival Services consist of approximately 40 cubic feet of archival materials documenting the life and work of African-American photographer, publisher, and businessman Opie Evans of Akron, Ohio. The papers include hundreds of photographic prints and negatives taken or collected by Evans during his career that provide a rich visual history of the African-American community in Akron and surrounding areas during the middle of the twentieth century. The images mostly depict African-American churches, workers, personalities, and social and fraternal organizations and events. They also capture the 1964 and 1967 elections and the civil rights movement in Akron.
The University of Akron Photographs visually document the history and development of The University of Akron, from its beginnings as Buchtel College in 1870 until its modern-day status as a state university. The photographs include photographic prints and negatives that depict individual students and faculty members as well as special events, student life, buildings, and the campus landscape. Images of academic departments and administrative units are also included.